Tuesday, October 23, 2001

Movie Review: Serendipity

Serendipity


Well that sucked! Yawn! Groan... Hey Christa - guess what's gonna happen next!

Those are just some of the things that you might have heard had you been in the same theater as Christa and I. First of all, I did not choose this movie! It is not my fault! I am just warning others here.

Maybe I should put a spoiler warning here. The movie is about fate, destiny, whatever you want to call it (crap?) So, it's about fate, and love. Well, guess what happens? The whole damn movie is on auto pilot. And not a very good auto pilot at that! Really, I don't know if I should go on. I like John Cusack, he's done well in the movies I have seen with him.

I might suggest that this is a good movie to see with a girl, but its not even that. Really, I think this point is more important than any review of the plot. The girls I have spoken to really like this film, they thought it was great. Heck, Cranky Critic gave it his highest possible rating! Astonishing! For some reason some people think that is romantic and nice to believe that some cosmic force is out there, bringing people together. This is not appealing, hell, its dangerous. Guys, listen to me, if you go see this movie with a girl read this review! Fate, soulmate, Mr Right, all that crap can only lead to doubt and second guessing in a REAL relationship. Does anyone know with any certainty the mind of God? In philosophy we talk about epistemic responsibility. What kind of criteria is there to know that fate has brought you together?? This kind of attitude can only lead to doubt and questioning and the kind of sad heart breaking stories that the two other people in this movie would have told if we were not so fixated on the two main characters. Really, the question is for the people who find this fate crap appealing: do you really want to be chosen by some impersonal force? Would you not rather be chosen because some person you care for has decided for a multitude of special reasons that you are the person they want to spend the rest of their life with? Ultimately, it means that the persons making the decision are the ones responsible for that decision. Here, there can be no doubt who is accountable to whom. The persons making the decisions, though more fallible than fate know the reasons for the decision, and know that they are also responsible for the outcome and maintenance of the venture they have jointly undertaken.

I have said too much really. This is a bad movie and I have better things to do than go over it in any more detail. If you want a good summary of the film go see Ebert. He is a smart guy and has written a good review. He is getting paid, I am not. I'll leave the boring job of going over this movie to him. So now all that remains is giving it a a rating.

Really, it is not ALL BAD. It does seem to have been a higher budget movie. So in that respect it has a redeeming feature. In these slower economic times it might help stimulate the economy and help some of my investments. Further some smart guy might read my review and be able to score some points with a girl. Who know my friend Spanky might end his dry spell thanks to me. Well, that might be pushing it

On the official Chris' Choice scale Serendipity gets one star.

*

No comments: